Wednesday, June 24, 2009

MY FAVORITE THINGS: PART 5: Porch Swings

I love these porch swings. I have 9 at the moment. My oldest one is over 15 years old. I take good care of it and don't leave it out in the rain. I got it at the Renaissance Festival and paid about $85 for it. It's pink but most of the rest of them are green.
My favorite one I got on Ebay for around $60. The bar at the top is wider and it is very closely woven in a soft cotton yarn. It is extremely comfortable. I liked it so much I bought a second one from the same guy.
I got one at a garage sale for $5. I threw it out. It tangled and no one ever liked to sit in it.
I bought 2 nylon ones at an art fair. They have clips to make it a chair or if you un-clip it, it becomes more like a hammock. Those are the ones that take alot of abuse....as well as being the site of lots of fun as seen here. Also, since they are nylon the rain doesn't affect them much.
I bought this air swing on Ebay too. It drove me crazy figuring out how to put it together. We have it hanging from a tree limb and it's fun to bang your feet against the tree to get you swinging. I had rocks around the base of the tree but I removed them just in case some wild ones fell off the swing. Some young folks think the swings are more a jungle gym apparatus than a swing.

I just love these swings. If I have a back ache, it helps. If I'm sleepy, they put me right to sleep.
I love reading in them or just sitting and having coffee. Or, we have a foot bumping game called "kaboom" we play.
I like them so much that I screwed a bolt into a stud in my work room ceiling so I could hang a swing in there in the winter.

If you don't own a soft swing you're missing a quick & easy retreat to your inner being.