Saturday, April 14, 2012

My kind of Smoothie...3 hours of power!

I LOVE Smoothies.
 
These are my favorite ingredients that 
I use over and over.
 
1. FROZEN STRAWBERRIES
Sometimes with mixed berries but I'm not
fond of the seeds in the raspberries.

2. ORANGE JUICE CONCENTRATE
I always use it undiluted and straight
from the box from Gordon's or can from
the supermarket.

3. MILK 
Often soy milk but regular skim 
milk works for me too...never
ice cream. Although I think it 
would be good but defeat the
healthy factor.
 
4. YOGURT
Always fat free or low fat and
often Vanilla flavored. I always try for
Greek yogurt because I think it's better for you.
 
5. CARROTS
Baby carrots are sweeter. If they add some
crunch, so what. I love that.
 
6. FROZEN BROCCOLI
I put 2 or 3 florets in. It doesn't turn the
smoothie green and you can't taste it. I call
it my secret ingredient. My granddaughter knows
that "secret ingredient" means broccoli and often asks if I've put
in the secret ingredient and smiles at me. Hey, broccoli
is good for you.
 
7. ALMONDS
Any kind of almonds work but the sliced ones really
blend up nice.
 
8. ALMOND FLAVORING
Gordon's Food Service has a nice big bottle for
a reasonable price. I use it so much I need a big 
bottle. I love almond flavoring and really notice
the difference if I forget it.
 
9. BANANAS
A must!!  I can't believe I forgot to put that
in the picture. But I'm telling you. A banana
is a must-have ingredient. I love bananas.
I keep some peeled frozen bananas in my 
freezer and if I'm out of fresh ones, I always
have a stock in the freezer to pop one or 
two into the smoothie.

10. OPTIONAL INGREDIENT 1
Powdered protein powder. Sometimes I
have it...sometimes not. It's not a must but
something I use sometimes.
 
11. OPTIONAL INGREDIENT 2
Ginger root. I love the taste of fresh ginger.
I just have trouble keeping a fresh piece
hanging around in my refrigerator or remembering
to buy a new piece. But when I
do, I'll grate some up or put in a few slices.
Slices don't blend up well and you end up having
to chew a few pieces so getting out the grater is
really the best option. But it's just another thing to
have to clean. Sometimes I get too lazy.

12. A PRETTY GLASS
It tastes so much better in a pretty glass.
I often use my Mom's crystal glass for my 
smoothie and put the extra in another glass and
keep refilling my crystal glass. EVERYTHING tastes
better in a pretty glass but especially smoothies.
I just use a regular blender but I'm thinking of
getting a Ninja blender that holds 72 ounces or that one 
from Costco that costs an arm and a leg. If I ever do bite
the bullet and pop for an upgrade,
 I'll post an update on it.

I'm also thinking of getting some kale to add on a regular
basis but I've added spinach in the past and it 
 turns the smoothie a St. Patrick's 
Day Shamrock green and the kids around here 
really are turned off by green smoothies.

I think I need to branch out and try new ingredients 
but these are the ingredients I really love and this 
smoothie gives me 3 hours of a 
powerfully full feeling of healthy happiness.